Church exists because of Jesus and is there for Him. Therefore anything that happens in church should be from Him and for Him (Colossians 1:16-20).
Jesus has all authority, and delegates it as He chooses in order to fulfill certain functions. We recognise and release these functions, and are answerable to Jesus in this regard (Ephesians 2:20-23; 4:7-13).
The Holy Spirit lives in us (his church) to empower us to fulfill God’s purpose (John 14:16-17; Acts 1:6-8). We must honour and receive His presence and ministry amongst us.
The Holy Spirit will direct our affairs as we allow Him to do so. We have found Him using the following means:
- The inward witness of our human spirit. – When we recognise in our hearts something is from God. (Prov. 20:27; 1 Cor. 6:17; 2 Cor. 5:17).
- Peace, which we experience as confirmation. (Colossians 3:15; see Acts 16:6-7 for an example).
- The Bible (Word of God). (Psalm 119:105; see Acts 15:13-21 for an example).
- Input from our fellow believers (Proverbs 11:14, 15:22; see Acts 15:6,7,28 for an example.
- Waiting on God through worship, prayer and fasting (see Acts 13:1-4).
- Visions, dreams, God’s presence and gifts of the Spirit (see Acts 8:26,29; 16:9,10).
God blesses, provides for and completes what He initiates. We must therefore wait and see, and do only what He is doing and blessing.